Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Poll: Does manual saving work for you?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Manual saving works fine for me (I get confirmation that the save wwas succcesful)
28.57%
2 28.57%
Manual save doesn't work (it does not show confirmation that the save was succesful)
71.43%
5 71.43%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Critical]Save Function in game doesn't work, loading doesn't either

There is no reason to delete your old save files. Nothing about them has changed in a long time.

I save and restore games all the time. Have never had an issue as described.

That doesn't mean there is no bug. I just haven't run into it. I will take a careful look at the code to see if I can't get something into the update I was planning to post today.

The name of your avatar is incorporated into the save game file name. I don't think avatar names are allowed to contain characters that cannot be in a filename, like a slash or a colon.

FWIW the save on exit is carefully wrapped in a Qt object that is intended to insure the files get written completely before the main thread is permitted to exit. This eliminated a problem of truncated saves on exit.

FYI when the Save Game... option is selected, the Current Game is not updated. Only the saved game file is created. That is due to the size of the files involved, to cut down on the amount of time it takes to get the job done.

To restore that save, you would have to click on it in the list when you start the game.

If the game were to crash or get killed after using the Save Game option, the Current Game would remain unchanged, unless an autosave happened. Then when the game was restarted, it would seem as though the game was not saved. You have to restore the specific saved game file in that case.

I added some message box error messages that will appear if anything fails during the game save process. These will be in the update I post later today.

May I make a suggestion to disable the auto-save feature as well as the "window-close save" feature if the X/Y/Z coordinates wildly exceed the range of the galaxy. That way if the space teleport bug happens, we can at least close and reload our old save without worrying that our game is screwed up forever.

(12-07-2023, 07:51 PM)Haxus Wrote: To restore that save, you would have to click on it in the list when you start the game.

You say list, but I have never seen any other entries in my list. Mine just looks like this:
[Image: SaveUIMain.png]
And my save game folder only contains the two normal files; A1001100 and A1010101.

It is widely believed that this is an issue for all Windows users.
But I forget what OS you are using when you test/play.

(12-07-2023, 08:07 PM)GaelicVigil Wrote: disable the auto-save feature as well as the "window-close save" feature

Do we have an option to adjust the auto-save interval and such? I forget.
But it would be nice to have an option to change the interval or disable it if we don't have it.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

(12-07-2023, 08:07 PM)GaelicVigil Wrote: if the X/Y/Z coordinates wildly exceed the range of the galaxy.

Are you trying to shoehorn in a band aid for the 'yeet' bug?
The 'yeet' bug needs to get fixed, we don't need random little band aids for it. Especially not something as volatile as making it change the behavior of the auto-save function.

Maybe an option to exit the game without saving would be nice, but don't make it some automatic thing that no one can control or understand.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

Yeah I've also used the "Save Game" option multiple times, both with and without custom names and my list is still exactly like this
[Image: W42IIRj.png]
I did intentionally kill the game's process after using the "Save Game" option to prevent the exit save and make sure the current game doesn't get updated

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, none of the files within the %USERPROFILE%\Hazeron Starship\Saved Games folder are updated at all when I use the option, so unless the saved game file is stored elsewhere, then it does seem like the option currently doesn't do anything (Am using Windows 10 64bit)

(12-07-2023, 08:24 PM)Deantwo Wrote: Do we have an option to adjust the auto-save interval and such? I forget.
But it would be nice to have an option to change the interval or disable it if we don't have it.
Nope, only a toggle
[Image: Gsj9YX3.png]
What even

Ohh you are missing a lot of saved files, such as the Daily Save that happens the first time you play every day.