Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2018-06-12 Morale COUNTDOWN
Morale
In old style cities, morale influences cause the morale level of the city to rise or fall, within a range of -20 to 20.

In new cities, morale is simply the sum of those morale influences. There is no morale level to rise or fall. When the +|- factors are listed on the city report, the sum of those values is the current morale of the city.

Morale is limited to the range -128 to 127.

Morale affects birth rate.
  • When morale is zero or more, babies will be born in the city, if the world population is two or more.
  • When morale is less than or equal to the number of breeding pairs, no babies are born in the city.
  • The rate of baby production is based on the number of breeding pairs (1/2 the world population) and the magnitude of the morale.
  • The maximum rate per world is one baby per minute.
Morale affects migration of indigenous people, on habitable worlds and ringworlds.
  • When morale is zero or more, indigenous people move into your buildings.
  • When morale is -2 or less, citizens depart the city to live among the indigenous.
  • At -1 morale, indigenous people neither arrive nor depart.
  • The magnitude of the morale increases the rate of arrivals and departures.
  • The maximum rate per world is one arrival and one departure per minute.
Morale affects travellers arriving and departing from airports, at buildings connected to an airport.
  • When morale is zero or more, travellers arrive via airports.
  • When morale is -2 or less, travellers depart via airports.
  • At -1 morale, travellers neither arrive nor depart.
  • The magnitude of the morale increases the rate of arrivals and departures.
  • The maximum rate per world is one arrival and one departure per minute. 
Departures of indigenous and air travellers are currently disabled to allow time for players to adjust to these changes.

COUNTDOWN begins. Departures will start in one week. Post here if that's too soon; perhaps you need more time to raise the morale of your new cities above -2.
I was wondering if you could clarify a couple of things, especially for those of us who are min-maxers and power players!

In regards to indigenous people, is there a pool of people that exist on a planet that can come to the city? Can this pool be exhausted? I ask because I am trying to figure out what the point of the births are when morale can "spawn" or "bring in" people from outside the actual population of the city.

Also just for clarity, when travelers migrate, or depart a city, are they actually removed from the population, or simply "added" to the destination?

Thanks!
(06-15-2018, 03:09 PM)Haxus Wrote: In new cities, morale is simply the sum of those morale influences. There is no morale level to rise or fall. When the +|- factors are listed on the city report, the sum of those values is the current morale of the city.

Morale is limited to the range -128 to 127.

I like this simplfication. The "morale level" always seemed more confusing than useful. At most it made all morale changes be delayed in effect. While a delay before a negative morale modifier caused harm was nice, the added confusion never seemed worth it to me.

(06-15-2018, 03:09 PM)Haxus Wrote: cities

I have one question though. This will only affect "cities"? Not independent buildings?
So in theory, if I make a massive mining outpost without a capitol/police jurisdiction there is no morale effects at all? It might mean that only one citizen will arrive at every interval (13 minutes?), but you would need no morale to make them happy so you can focus the entire population to work rather than waste a lot of them on morale buildings.

How is arriving population limited for independent buildings? One citizen per building per interval? Or one citizen per world per interval?
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
There is no limit to the number of indigenous people a habitable world can produce. The pool does not run out, even if you kill everybody in the village.

Migration, births and air/space travel are all separate sources of population growth or loss, that depend on different things.
  • Migrants only move to/from the wilderness on worlds that are habitable. They have to be in the habitable orbit zone. Inner and outer worlds do not have indigenous people.
  • Births only occur when you have two or more citizens.
  • Air/space travel requires access to an airport.
Travellers are reported in the context of the city. Only their affect on the city is reported. Their origin and destination are not determined. As with indigenous, there is an endless supply of travellers waiting to debark at every hospitable city.
All population growth is throttled by the world. The maximum rate of population growth would be one baby, one indigenous and one traveller per minute on a world, regardless of the number of buildings or the world population. The maximum rate of population decline, without shooting civilians, is one indigenous and one traveller per minute.
Current issues:
Big arena has only 1 arena space
Morale calculation is weird with employment:
MORALE 5
--4 -84% Unemployment. More jobs needed.
-2 Arena wanted.
+1 Lounge.
+2 Church.

-2 + 1 + 2 -(-4) = 5, i guess?
so a few questions i have are:

with building count limitations being a concern, whats stats affect the effectiveness of a morale building? (like office space, # of employees, etc)

are the going to be defaults of all the morale buildings released before the "countdown" is finished?

"When morale is less than or equal to the number of breeding pairs, no babies are born in the city" so does this mean that if i have 250 people, they will never breed again unless i raise my morale up to 125? and then up to 126 two babies later? does this also mean that the maximum amount of population gained by breeding is 254? (127 * 2)

Edit: corrected some math on the last point
Oops. I said that wrong. Baby production stops when morale is less than or equal to the negative count of breeding pairs. So one breeding pair stops when morale is -1 or less. Five breeding pairs stop when morale is -5 or less.

Morale has the strongest effect on procreation when the population is small. As the population grows, the effect of morale becomes less significant, eventually irrelevant.
I am creating and publishing basic models of each kind of morale building. There is a hospital and arena by Haxus now. I just need to make a park and a zoo to eliminate the last of my morale negatives.

Each new type flushes out a bug or other loose end. They will get attention in due course. My focus atm is morale effects.
If independent buildings are unaffected by morale, I am still not sure I see the benefit of making cities verse just having independent buildings.

Reasons to form a city is: tax income, increased population growth, easy management, and declaring capitals.

I guess we will have more reasons to form cities once decay is implemented. If a city would protect all independent buildings in a solar system, we would at least require one city in each solar system we want to exploit. But I don't know your plans for new-style city/building decay.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo