Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Landscaping Undone & Broken
hello, the bug just happened again. 

we were building our cities and I placed a short sloping-grade asphalt road and it caused every landscaping and road on the planet to disappear again, and I can't place more to fix the issue and continue building.

it still says all of my buildings are connected for now, but I think it will stop soon like last time

the roads and landscaping are not visible using the bulldozer tool again, so I can not delete them to try to fix my city

maybe the server is still trying to place the most recent road?
the grading stuff is still not working after I did a sleep

maybe it stays stuck until the servers restart or something?

okay, so I put dirt road in one spot over and over again to experiment, and something very interesting happened.

putting a dirt road over and over and over again caused it to slowly re-place all of the grading and roads that I placed when I fixed my city the other day in-order like a slow recreation of what I did, just a little bit every time I placed a road, but multiple pieces per try appeared

the dirt road I was placing never happened, it seemed like once it caught up to the one road which caused it all to disappear, it disappeared all over again.

hopefully that helps to find out the issue. the dirt roads I was placing to test never appeared or changed anything where I placed them
okay. I tested it twice more and counted and put it to exactly 1 step before the placement that caused the issue, so all of my gradings and roads and stuff are back for now, but I can't use any road construction stuff still, maybe until the next server restart I think

I think it has to do with the array or loop that it seems to be using to create the roads.

is it possible for you to add an undo button to the road construction menu which undoes the previous placement, to see if that might be able to fix the issue if it happens again? I am not sure if it really is the last placement which is causing it to stop working, it seems like a very strange bug.

it seems like when the server restarted last time, it just kept whatever grades it was displaying, which was only 6 of them. and now I have learned why it was displaying those first few.

which means after the server restarts, it will only show the original ones that I caused to display by spamming dirt roads, and not the dirt roads that were spammed.

which means that if a level grade is placed to test, it will step the array loop or whatever it may be forwards, to the road that I placed which made everything disappear and everything will disappear and start over from the beginning again, needing to be stepped forwards by placing roads.
the next step in the array will cause the bug and delete everything.

are the server restarts scheduled? I wonder when the next one is!

------------------------------------
to Haxus, if you test this on the world
according to the last time, if the server restarts while testing before putting the world grading back to it's final step using the discovered method, the world grading will be lost permanently again. I think I have it one placement away from creating the road which causes the issue currently, so if you place one single grade everything will disappear and will have to be brought back using the method.

too long/didn't read: the next server restart should fix it until it happens again. I think an undo button on the road construction menu might be a potential fix.

--
thank you for your time!!
kirakira
I have a theory!

I think the database of roads is not updating but each time I place a non-working road or landscape it is incrementing the value of a for-loop(?) searching an array(?) by a little, showing more of the original roads/landscaping each time until it reaches the total number and then either resetting or reading 0 some how from the number searching something above what it was expecting, making them all disappear again.

maybe it was not a landscape which caused the issue but that the issue happened before placing the road, and placing it reset it back to 0 like how it is now. because none of the new landscapes used to increment the value are added to the array.

for example if there was an array of road placements 0 to 10, and the 10th road caused the issue, I think I would have to place 10 broken, not-working landscaping to increment back to it, but those 10 broken ones do not add to it, so it is always an increment of 10 to do the roads, and never having to search past the broken ones because they are never added. it's always 0 to 10.

I am not certain of anything, I am just trying to help!