Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenGL incompatibility on old notebook with integrated videocard

My notebook is old Samsung NP300V5A with dual videocards. NVIdia one is good enough.
I still have old issue that I cannot run game further from start menu: http://www.hazeron.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=2568
So game switching to integrated videocard which not support needful OpenGL version.

I did fix that issue before by replacing file steam_api64.dll so its related to steam integration.
Cannot use that trick now with updated steam integration. Did tried all measures mentioned in old post to enforce using the NVIdia videocard, but that not helps.
I suppose, it may be system incompatibility, as I still have unsupported Windows 7.
Maybe switching to Linux will help me, but last time I tried to run Hazeron at Linux Mint, game is not even start (got Running... and stop).

There should be a way to specify which video hardware to use when you run an app. There is nothing I can do in the code to select a particular video device.

Yeah, my only theory is that the drivers automatically try to guess the GPU to use when it is first started. So maybe just having actual OpenGL object rendered at start would make a difference in the automatic guess?

I can't test it, since I don't have a laptop anymore. But you could just try adding it as a executable commandline argument, and then people can test with it to see if it makes a difference?

For example if you do "-gputest", have the game try to load some OpenGL object in the background of the first menu immediately on start.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

Tried that enforcing of videocard at nvidia panel...
There
[Image: 2023-12-11-18-06-42-NVIDIA-Control-Panel.jpg]

[Image: 2023-12-11-18-16-51-Hazeron-Starship.jpg]

Well, new unlocked versions of game is not working too, so it may be not steam related anymore.
But supposedly I'm single one with that problem of old os\hardware, so its not too big need.
I must adapt, try finally upgrade or switch system and so on.

I did find one more thing you could try. It involved turned on an option so you can right click and force to run using the NVIDA GPU. Can't hurt to try it

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/...ettings%3F

[Image: ezgif-com-resize.gif]

(12-12-2023, 01:15 AM)Rockinsince87 Wrote: I did find one more thing you could try. It involved turned on an option so you can right click and force to run using the NVIDA GPU. Can't hurt to try it

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/...ettings%3F
Thanks for tip. It's something new, but not work either.

I did tested on desktop pc with only integrated videocard and it got reached character menu before OpenGL error appear this time, unlike notebook, which stopped just at newgame.
Desktop pc got Win10, so its about dying Win7 incompatibility, not just old notebook.

(12-14-2023, 06:07 PM)Kastuk Wrote: I did tested on desktop pc with only integrated videocard and it got reached character menu before OpenGL error appear this time, unlike notebook, which stopped just at newgame.
Desktop pc got Win10, so its about dying Win7 incompatibility, not just old notebook.

I doubt Windows 7 is the main culprit. That Samsung Laptop released in October of 2011. I would say it's a combination of problems.

(12-15-2023, 01:16 AM)Rockinsince87 Wrote:
(12-14-2023, 06:07 PM)Kastuk Wrote: I did tested on desktop pc with only integrated videocard and it got reached character menu before OpenGL error appear this time, unlike notebook, which stopped just at newgame.

I doubt Windows 7 is the main culprit. That Samsung Laptop released in October of 2011. I would say it's a combination of problems.

No errors at Linux version. Works well there.
Hardware is not a culprit.