Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Character Profile Save files loading not working

Also an old one, but still present.

The Character Profile Save for an Alien race ist hard to load.

While the selection dialogue does filter for .chr files, it doesn't show any. The name of the last saved file is usually still in the selection, so that can be loaded. 

But if you type that exact name in there, the file can not be loaded.

(12-06-2023, 06:17 PM)Rashi Wrote: The Character Profile Save for an Alien race ist hard to load.

While the selection dialogue does filter for .chr files, it doesn't show any. The name of the last saved file is usually still in the selection, so that can be loaded. 

What exactly are you trying to load?
I loaded a .chr file just fine earlier today, it was an really old .chr file though.

Can you give exact steps to reproduce your issue?
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

Open the loading dialogue.
The last saved file will be selected. But no actual .chr files will be shown in the file explorer window.

std1 for example as the name of the character file.

If you replace the selected file string, with the exact same , it won't find anything.

I can make a couple of screenshots later.

I apologize but I do not understand this bug. Could you provide more information?

So first screenshot, the Character Profile selection is still set from the last saved profile.
This is loadable.

[Image: farkGPE.jpg]

Second screenshot , the same name is typed into the File Name Box, this is not loadable (open button greyed out)

[Image: RdmzKt3.jpg]

In both cases, no character files are shown in the explorer window. If I delete the filename entry, it still doesn't show any character files.

This is a quirk that has been around for a long time, but it used to work if I typed the correct profile name.

Why isn't the file on the list though?
Are you saving then without the .chr extension?
What if you change the dropdown menu below the filename field? (Does it have other options at all? I never checked.)
Do the files have the .chr extension if you navigate to the folder using your normal file explorer?

I assume this is a standard Qt dialog?
So likely not something that can be easily fixed. Could even be a bug in Qt.

Which OS are you using?
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

The choice of system vs Qt dialog is available in the settings.

To show all files choose the All Files filter.

Does the actual tw12 file have a .chr suffix? I am not clear about that.

I’ll fiddle with it and see what happens. Thanks for the info.

Windows 10.
The file type selection box has no other options.

The file is indeed not saved as .chr it seems. That never occured to me, in the save dialogue i never typed the .chr in , since the file type selection box suggests it would be a .chr file.

If I do type that in, the file is indeed saved as tw12.chr and visible on the loading selection.

Which would be preferred?

1. Adding the .chr suffix on save? If needed.

2. Adding an All Files filter to the open file dialog’s list of file types?

Option 1.

The Dialogue should filter for the expected file type. If the file Save makes sure the correct type of file is created, then that works best imo.