Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harvest fuel orders sometimes end prematurely/never start
I've noticed that some ships get partially refueled, and others never even begin. Initially it seemed to have no pattern but I think I've figured it out: It tends to happen when you either a) have a ship whose fuel cells are larger than its hold and you use the 'percent of hold space' option to harvest hydrogen, or b) use the 'actual quantity' option and specify a quantity that is lower than the current amount of fuel in the fuel cells.

Let's say hypothetical case: you have a ship where the hold is 5,885,777 units and the fuel cells are 52,971,999 units. So, fuel cells significantly larger than hold's capacity.

In this hypothetical ship's case, when you queue a fuel harvest job a few things can happen based on the state of your ship's hold.

Case 1: You tell the crew to harvest '100% of hold space', but you already have more fuel than the hold space is capable of holding. In this case, you immediately receive a message from your officer: "All harvester operations are completed as ordered. Super job crew." Nothing happens, the job does not even begin. 

Case 2: You tell the crew to harvest 'actual quantity'. If you enter a quantity lower than the current amount of fuel in the cells--say, 40,000,000 as the quantity when there are 41,736504 units already in the cells--you get an instant:"All harvester operations are completed as ordered. Super job crew." Same as before.

If, however, set the actual quantity to a higher value that the current amount of fuel in the cells, like say 53,000,00 units, then the crew will successfully start/finish the mission.
This is the ONLY way I can get my current ship model to refuel successfully every time.

For newer players the seemingly random/unpredictable behavior may lead to some frustration.

The tl;dr problems: The harvest hydrogen by '% of hold space' appears to be using the hold space in its calculation when it should be using fuel cell capacity, since hydrogen doesn't get stored in the hold. Additionally, the 'actual quantity' option appears to have a hidden conditional check which looks at the current amount in the fuel cells before deciding whether to harvest which can lead to even more confusion.

Possible fix:

a) Add special case for harvesting hydrogen by % of hold space to check the fuel cells instead of the actual hold when performing the calculation.

b) Change 'actual quantity' to not look at the current hold space before starting. Instead, have it blindly attempt to harvest <actual quantity> of resource, stop when hold/fuel cell (in case of hydrogen) is full or when quantity has been reached.
The formatting for this was very messed up and I tried to clarify a bit. This is a difficult bug to report honestly but I hope that made it easier to follow.