Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2020-04-29 Client Crash, Noob Teleport

Theres one thing which I consider absolutely rich coming from this thread that I've just noticed..........

Everyone is complaining about a noob TP that adds no advantage at all to playing the game beyond allowing people to find cool environments / city settings but thats it it makes no tangible difference to the game, and gets disabled as soon as you start building a city or take a berth on a ship etc.

And meanwhile, no one has batted an eye at the permanently available teleportation mechanic that you can do from the second you join the game, there is no limit (to my knowledge) on how many times you can use it or where to, no tech requirements, and you can literally teleport across the universe (if invited ofc).

(05-07-2020, 08:29 PM)NeoKuro Wrote: Theres one thing which I consider absolutely rich coming from this thread that I've just noticed..........

Everyone is complaining about a noob TP that adds no advantage at all to playing the game beyond allowing people to find cool environments / city settings but thats it it makes no tangible difference to the game, and gets disabled as soon as you start building a city or take a berth on a ship etc.

And meanwhile, no one has batted an eye at the permanently available teleportation mechanic that you can do from the second you join the game, there is no limit (to my knowledge) on how many times you can use it or where to, no tech requirements, and you can literally teleport across the universe (if invited ofc).

They're only complaining because the noob teleport was added after they started.  Also welcome to the most complaintive gaming community on the planet.

(05-07-2020, 08:29 PM)NeoKuro Wrote: Everyone is complaining about a noob TP that adds no advantage at all to playing the game beyond allowing people to find cool environments / city settings but thats it it makes no tangible difference to the game, and gets disabled as soon as you start building a city or take a berth on a ship etc.

I wouldn't say I was complaining. I just said I think it is a little silly and feels weird. A village fast travel feature would make more sense and be more useful in the long run.

As for the teleport invites, before those we had berth-a-port. Only thing teleport invites did was make it easier and remove the risk of us losing our ships on accident with bad berth-a-porting.
As Haxus has said many times, berth-a-port and/or teleport invites are a necessary evil. Without them two players that start playing Hazeron together would have to use a week just to be able to meet each other in-game.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

(05-08-2020, 07:59 AM)Deantwo Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 08:29 PM)NeoKuro Wrote: Everyone is complaining about a noob TP that adds no advantage at all to playing the game beyond allowing people to find cool environments / city settings but thats it it makes no tangible difference to the game, and gets disabled as soon as you start building a city or take a berth on a ship etc.

I wouldn't say I was complaining. I just said I think it is a little silly and feels weird. A village fast travel feature would make more sense and be more useful in the long run.

How would it be more useful? I left my village immediately and I've never considered it a loss. Never knew nor cared what it was for, as my cities have taken over any role they could possibly ahve offered really.

I'd argue that the village TP would be more silly, ok it's more immersive than a noob TP, but we have a universe TP (berth-a-port) already anyway. Not to mention you'd have to teach the players an additional thing about the game on top of everything else. Whereas most people can easily understand "Right-click on map and you appear there until you start building".

If people want to go through the agonizing hours of hunting on foot by some crazy challenge they aren't being forced to use the Noob TP. But for those who don't want to be forced to waste those hours doing that they can use the noob TP.

It really doesn't subtract anything from the game imo (I've always skipped that entire part of the game not even realising it was a thing people actually did >.>)

(05-08-2020, 07:59 AM)Deantwo Wrote: As Haxus has said many times, berth-a-port and/or teleport invites are a necessary evil. Without them two players that start playing Hazeron together would have to use a week just to be able to meet each other in-game.

Thats fair, but if we have one cheesey mechanic in place to help players get into the game faster, why not have this one?

I just can't comprehend why, beyond "I did it so everyone else must too", people seem dead-set on forcing players to play a mind-numbing walking simulator for 2+ hours if they want to find a cool place for selfies, or settle right there and then just to get started.

This game has enough problems as it is, it doesn't need any more barriers of entry to be aded to that list, and this noob TP allows the game to show off to new players what it has to offer...the whole point of the new designer was to allow people to create awesome cool stuff....so give them a tool they can build a city that looks damn awesome also from the start.

It encourages community engagement from the beginning (screenshots, chat, discussions etc), not to mention feeling invested in their awesome cities when the asteroid comes knocking (speaking of which my asteroid is probably arriving soon and once again I have no way to get in the game to progress my empire so I think I give up at this point :) )

(05-09-2020, 12:21 AM)NeoKuro Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 07:59 AM)Deantwo Wrote:

How would it be more useful? I left my village immediately and I've never considered it a loss. Never knew nor cared what it was for, as my cities have taken over any role they could possibly ahve offered really.

I'd argue that the village TP would be more silly, ok it's more immersive than a noob TP, but we have a universe TP (berth-a-port) already anyway. Not to mention you'd have to teach the players an additional thing about the game on top of everything else. Whereas most people can easily understand "Right-click on map and you appear there until you start building".

The current "noob teleport" is confusing exactly because it is an ability that vanishes once you aren't a "new avatar" anymore.

If it was bond to villages, it wouldn't have to be limited to new avatars. I don't see the big issue with letting non-new avatars use the feature explore a world by moving the village around.

Targoss already teach new players how to talk to the villagers. Adding a new villager that has a new function wouldn't be weird or hard to understand. But it all has to be taught to the new player I guess.