Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2020-04-29 Client Crash, Noob Teleport
Client Crash
Someone reported a persistent crash whenever they logged in to one of their avatars.

Fixed an error when evaluating the environment on ringworlds. The error was introduced during the etherium changes.

Noob Teleport
Someone suggested that it would be handy to let new emperors teleport around on their homeworld.

New emperors can now teleport to any place on their homeworld. Right click on the map to do this.

The "new" state of an avatar is cleared when any of these things happens:
  • The avatar stands at a building site.
  • The avatar stands inside a spacecraft.
  • The avatar boards a vehicle.
  • The avatar accepts a berth aboard a spacecraft.
I've been out of the office a lot this week, working on a small construction project here on the farm. We built a bunny barn and cages for three new bunnies. Our grandson insisted we name them B'Elanna Torres, Tom Paris, and Captain Janeway.

Sorry I didn't get a lot done on SoH the past few days. I'm back to work now.

The good news is the servers have been up for five days and there was only one crash. It happened at a time when it was not convenient to trace so I just restarted the server. Crashes don't heal themselves. I'll have another opportunity to trace it some time soon.
Excellent bunny names.
This noob teleport is nice, but doesn't it render boats and the first survival stage useless ?
You are right. The noob teleport should probably be removed. Someone suggested it and I thought, “why not?” The code already existed for my use so it was trivial to enable.
(04-30-2020, 01:22 PM)Haxus Wrote: You are right. The noob teleport should probably be removed. Someone suggested it and I thought, “why not?” The code already existed for my use so it was trivial to enable.

In fairness a decent use-case came up today: someone spawned on a tidally locked world in the night zone. Making and sailing a boat is something of a big ask for noobs if they can't see where they're going. On the other hand, it's not like they have much to lose by re-rolling; the aforementioned person did so.
(04-30-2020, 01:28 PM)voyager Wrote:
(04-30-2020, 01:22 PM)Haxus Wrote: You are right. The noob teleport should probably be removed. Someone suggested it and I thought, “why not?” The code already existed for my use so it was trivial to enable.

In fairness a decent use-case came up today: someone spawned on a tidally locked world in the night zone. Making and sailing a boat is something of a big ask for noobs if they can't see where they're going. On the other hand, it's not like they have much to lose by re-rolling; the aforementioned person did so.

I would have thought that is a bug. Isn't the game supposed to spawn you on the day side of the world?

I have suggested before that maybe you should get some minor animal repelling effect from holding a torch in your hand. Maybe make some animals get scared and run away if hit with a torch.
Currently I have seen a lot of new players make a bunch of campfires everywhere.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
(04-30-2020, 01:28 PM)voyager Wrote:

Easily escaping such a situation kills the charm and survival aspect of the game regardless.

Should have spawned on the daytime side though like Dean said.
I think if you play SoH for the survival aspect sure, but then you could choose to not use it. If you play for the city-building aspects or the space aspect then it is a useful tool. It depends upon your mode/method of play.
That's why it's a sandbox game, there's no one way or right way to play it.