Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Better inventory in city report
Hi,

Since we have absurd amount of ressources in our cities, that would be nice if the city report show readable values.

For example
[Image: unknown.png]
(03-12-2020, 12:36 AM)Xantheose Wrote: Hi,

Since we have absurd amount of ressources in our cities, that would be nice if the city report show readable values.

For example
I like the second one the best. Using metric prefixes for item counts always confuses me. I have to sit and think "Wait is G a million or a billion?" If you were going to use prefixes, I suggest 1000 = K (thousands, yes this is kilo), 1000000 = M (million), 1000000000 = B (billion).
I am not a fan of the random colours on the last one, why the millions green, the thousands orange, and the hundreds red? Too much colour with no meaning. Colouring resource quality might be okay, but it's already sorted by highest so I don't know what extra information that really gives.
I like the second one two. But having colour for the quality is ok but i am not a fan of it form the quantity.
(03-18-2020, 11:30 PM)martianant Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 12:36 AM)Xantheose Wrote: Hi,

For example
I like the second one the best. Using metric prefixes for item counts always confuses me. I have to sit and think "Wait is G a million or a billion?" If you were going to use prefixes, I suggest 1000 = K (thousands, yes this is kilo), 1000000 = M (million), 1000000000 = B (billion).
I am not a fan of the random colours on the last one, why the millions green, the thousands orange, and the hundreds red? Too much colour with no meaning. Colouring resource quality might be okay, but it's already sorted by highest so I don't know what extra information that really gives.
Well no. Not that your solution is bad, but there's already a fixed standard for numbers : k, M, G, T etc.
It's not even that hard to learn (ko, Mo, Go and To anyone ?).
I prefer the raw numbers when it comes to lists.  It makes it faster to eyeball the differences since bigger numbers are physically bigger.  If we use prefixes, then I have to actually stop and read each number to identify which ones are taking up the most space.

I'm not sure about how you color-coded the digits.  It does seem to help with parsing large numbers, but with the colored qualities beside them it also feels kind of busy.  Maybe it would help if they used a different part of the spectrum.  Quality could use the red-green range, and digits could alternate between blue and blue-green, like so:

Colored numbers seem like overkill.
Right-aligning the quantities is a nice idea though.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo