Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2019-12-16 Targoss. Login Chat Lag, World Building Lag
Where's Targoss?
Targoss stopped showing up.

Fixed an error in the story engine when testing lineage of avatar to insure Targoss story doesn't start for highborns or demiavatars.

Trespass
New cities do not report trespassers. Old cities did.

Buildings with radar will now report trespassers in their radar range. Trespassers are buildings or stations that belong to a neutral empire.

Login Chat Lag
When I first log in, I cannot chat for a minute or two.

This happens when the Construction window requests the current public building design exchange information for the first time.

You can prevent it by leaving the Construction window closed when you log out. It will remain closed at login. When the window is opened, it will request the data.

Building exchange data is now compressed prior to sending. This didn't help much since the data was already pretty tight. My tests got about 10% reduction in data size due to compression.

Building and spacecraft exchanges are now preceded by a thought message warning when the data is large, exceeding 5MB. It informs the player that they cannot receive chat messages until the exchange data is received. A follow up thought message informs when the data transfer is complete.

World Approach Building Lag
I get a huge lag spike when approaching a world with buildings.

Found/fixed a scene sync bug that caused a little stutter when receiving new atoms into the scene. That stutter caused buildings to create and delete their rendering objects several times. Many buildings quickly added up to a huge lag spike, especially bad if any were under construction or destroyed.

Moved creation and management of building models into the model maker thread pool. This allows the grunt work of building the OpenGL model to be done in a thread that is not the foreground rendering thread, relieving some scene lag. This didn't actually save much on completed buildings because their final models take almost no processing before feeding them to OpenGL. However, this saved a lot of foreground processing time on buildings under construction or destroyed, because the board framework model takes a lot of work to construct.

The model maker offers an additional huge benefit. Multiple buildings using the same design now share the same OpenGL model, instead of each of them building/managing their own model. The creation of only one common model reduces the scene construction lag time and memory usage, when multiples of the same building designs are present. All buildings benefit, including buildings under construction and destroyed.

World Departure Building Lag
I got a moderate lag spike when departing a world with buildings.

Fixed a problem that eliminated the lag spike almost entirely. There was still a bit of grinding as building models were removed from the scene.

Implementation of the model maker thread pool completely eliminated those last grinding bits of lag.

World Map Buildings
World map sometimes does not show all the buildings on the map until you move close to the planet.

Fixed. Due to this change, you may now see airport beacons from much farther away.
(12-17-2019, 03:48 PM)Haxus Wrote: Login Chat Lag
When I first log in, I cannot chat for a minute or two.

This happens when the Construction window requests the current public building design exchange information for the first time.

I'll just again bring attention to the very much needed "Empire Approved Building Blueprints List".
See: Empire Approved Building Blueprints List

Downloading all public blueprints is wasteful and very confusing for new players. Not to mention needing a set of small newbie friendly building blueprints. So the first building blueprint they see for a mine doesn't require thousands of stone to be foraged.
And to come full circle, it would mean less blueprint data is loaded when the construction window is opened.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
Just wanted to say good job on the lag reduction and the Targoss fixes!
What even
(12-17-2019, 04:03 PM)Celarious Wrote: Just wanted to say good job on the lag reduction and the Targoss fixes!

yeah, lots of great stuff in this one! i know it isnt as glamorous as adding new stuff, but reducing lag is probably one of the most important things to do for steam imo
I go where the tide takes me.

Currently focused on a relatively short list of flaming items, before returning to nice-to-have items. There's always tons of those.
(12-17-2019, 03:48 PM)Haxus Wrote: Trespass
New cities do not report trespassers. Old cities did.

Buildings with radar will now report trespassers in their radar range. Trespassers are buildings or stations that belong to a neutral empire.

I guess this means Weltreich can finally detect all remaining the outposts I have in Tail system. Since they have yet to surrender and remaining Foxtail property after this peace was settled.

(12-17-2019, 03:48 PM)Haxus Wrote: World Approach Building Lag
World Departure Building Lag

This sounds awesome! I will finally be able to pilot without fear of crashing into the atmosphere because of lag spikes!

(12-17-2019, 03:48 PM)Haxus Wrote: Due to this change, you may now see airport beacons from much farther away.

This is minor, but I like it a lot.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
Will this help with on the ground lag events like riding a Motorcycle, then stopping, only to have the system "rubberband" your location back a mile or so?
I am still getting a lag spike approaching and departing some worlds. I'll keep at it.

There is a lag spike when you enter the atmosphere of a world that you've never been to before. That is caused when the textures for the plants are created. There is a part of that code that must run in the foreground thread; I'll see if it can be improved, maybe divide it up so some work can be done in the background. The texture image that is painted is cached to make it faster the next time.

Reducing the size of your plant textures helps a lot.